[ExI] adhd, creativity, memory types

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu May 5 16:39:27 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-03 23:05, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> Anders, what's the situation in the UK? Increasing diagnosis and
> treatment of ADHD?  Many think it's just a fad and only the extreme
> need diagnosis and treatment.

Overdiagnosed and overmedicated, *and* underdiagnosed and
undermedicated. There is a lot of inhomogenity in who gets the
diagnosis, partially mediated by (parental) social capital.

Many of these traits are on a spectrum: we are all a bit paranoid, a bit
scattered, a bit narcissitic, a bit unable to figure out others, and so
on. So we can often recognize something of ourselves in people with a
diagnosis, but the key thing is (1) do these things impair us enough
that we need to change, and (2) would a medical gatekeeper recognize
this as a proper, intervention requiring diagnosis?

In practice, people are fond of ascribing creativity to all sorts of
mental conditions. The actual research data is much more equivocal.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute