[ExI] s&p 500 growth, was: RE:

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon May 9 00:25:29 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark

​>>…I am getting 21.4 fold increase since 1974:  2057/96 = 21.4

​>…That doesn't count reinvestment of dividends. My 74 fold figure was a little out of date, from April 1974 to April 2016 it's 75.7 fold.

See for yourself:

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/

 John K Clark

Sure but if you compare them that way, you cannot use current net worth either.  It would assume the investor never spent any money since 1974.  We can be quite sure that it wasn’t cheap to send Marla Maples and Ivana Zelnickova on their way, nor was it cheap to purchase the current Mrs. Trump.