[ExI] Aristotle on trolling

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon May 9 19:07:07 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-08 21:08, William Flynn Wallace wrote:

> I am reminded of Frankfurt's classic "On bullshit":
> http://www.stoa.org.uk/topics/bullshit/pdf/on-bullshit.pdf
>

> I am not sure what this is - perhaps the author's summer?.  I have the
> book, available from Amazon, and it's 67 pages.

It has been published in at least three different forms. The book is
probably the most common, but I did not find it online.

The Swedish humorist Tage Danielsson wrote an independent and brilliant
precursor, "Grallimatik" (1966) where he argues that most talking is not
about communicating information, but simply social status games and nice
sounds. So he outlines a grammar, semantics and style guide for vacuous
talking. It is a hilarious satire, but actually making Frankfurt's point
decades earlier. Nothing new under the sun, as Aristotle tweeted.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute