[ExI] A Nobel Prize ​winner on Trump

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:33:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> The real issue is not Krugman's putative brilliance but whether his
> arguments are right. Do we know *any* economists who think Trump knows what
> he is doing?

### I don't think we have sufficiently reliable information on Trump's
economic ideas. He does seem to be a run-of-the-mill liberal for the most
part (support for single-payer medicine, support for eminent domain,
opposition to free trade) but with minor exceptions and all covered up by
tons of random bluster and populist demagoguery.

His business record would indicate a reasonable level of skill in
negotiation and management, a high and consistent level of inner drive but
with a mercurial superficial persona.

My guess he will do nothing substantial once elected. He will hire some NP
winners to shape economic policy, which may or may not be good for our
country. All the wide-eyed horror at his coming will appear silly in
retrospect, just as the wide-eyed wonder at Obama's ascension looks stupid
now.

Rafał