[ExI] Security clearances

John Tracy Cunningham johntc at gmail.com
Thu May 12 08:23:57 UTC 2016

Anders

I was a commissioned officer in the United States Air Force, later a
defense contractor, and spent about 35 years with security clearances.  I
offer the following as background information, from a US perspective.

The first question is, is there information (or objects) that need to be
protected from disclosure to potential enemies, because of the damage that
an enemy might be able to do in peace or war?  For example, I worked for
years on the plans that NATO would have used had the Warsaw Pact ever come
across the inter-German border.  There were many aspects of these plans
that were classified, as people thought that the Pact knowing would be bad
for NATO.

There are Security Classification Guides that describe what is or is not to
be classified, and at what level - Confidential, Secret, Top Secret.
 (There is also For Official Use Only, which means don't release to the
public, but don't protect in other ways.)  There is also Sensitive
Compartmented Information for the stuff that needs the strongest
protection; one doesn't even know that a compartment exists until one is
invited into it.

There is a list of generally high-ranking people who can classify something
from scratch; this is Original Classification Authority.  All else is
derivative classification.

Once classified information exists, the question becomes, who can see it?
There will be people who need to see it to make plans, perform day-to-day
operations, or execute military operations; to do their jobs.  They have
Need To Know.  A person so identified is background checked via a Single
Scope Background Investigation.  The investigators gather information from
many sources.  The investigatee identifies three or five long-time friends,
and the investigators talk to them.  The investigators then ask them for
contacts, and they talk to them too.  Eventually they make a recommendation
to the person who can grant clearances.

The investigatee receives security training and signs nondisclosure
agreements, perhaps the Espionage Act, receives the clearances, and goes to
work.  There is regular recurring training and constant reminders in the
form of newsletters, posters, etc.  There are procedures for storing and
mailing information; with the advent of IT, everything has become more
complicated.  All of this is prescribed by law and supplemented with
various regulations.

Ultimately, we trust people to classify information properly; to
investigate properly; to grant clearances properly; to use and protect
information properly.  People being people, turns out not everyone is
always careful, and some people break the rules intentionally.  We punish
them if we can.  There is a problem with courts; often the Government is
asked to confirm that the information disclosed was genuine, and they don't
want to confirm that in public.

A couple of observations on recent cases:

Edward Snowden went through all of this and intentionally broke the rules
in a major way.  While many may approve, he broke the law.  If the US ever
gets hold of him, he will go to jail forever.

Hillary Clinton was a Senator and Secretary of State.  Many Senators have
clearances, and the Secretary certainly does.  (Although sometimes the
holders of classified info don't trust certain elected/appointed officials,
and don't send stuff to them.)  She put classified information on
unclassified computers, or caused that to be done.  That is illegal.  Were
she not Hillary Clinton, she would have been punished when the breach was
discovered.  Were the laws equally applied, as they're supposed to be, she
would be punished.

This is an extremely large area, and I've only touched on basics.  Would be
glad to go into more detail.

Regards

John
Dubai