[ExI] Repudiating the national debt

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 12 21:28:57 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Dan TheBookMan

​>> ​
>> the current standard is so well established that safely changing it now
>> to something radically different would be virtually impossible.
>

> ​> ​
> Then be prepared to have madmen get into office.

​I think madman would be a better word than madmen. In the nuclear age it
is unlikely that more than one madman will ever be president of the USA.​

>> ​>​
>>  In today's modern fast changing world some important decisions must be
>> made in just hours or even minutes and there is no time to consult with
>> congress.
>

> ​> ​
> I actually think that's part of the problem.
> ​ ​
> In any age, problems can be viewed as needing quick and decisive action.

​Yes, and especially in this age.  If the president is woken at 3am and
informed that ICBMs have been detected over Greenland moving Southwest in a
ballistic arc at 12,000 miles an hour he's going to have 15 minutes​

​to decide what to do about it. ​If the president hasn't made a decision
after 15 minutes then he can relax because he never needs to make another
decision for the rest of his life.

> ​> ​
> The excuse that 02016 demands this more than fifty or a hundred years ago
> is bullshit.

​A hundred years ago few weapons moved at 12,000 miles an hour.​

 John K Clark