[ExI] Security clearances

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 14 19:01:05 UTC 2016

On 14 May 2016 at 09:44, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
<snip>
> Note that this is all psychology and sociology rather than any real security
> or legal assessment. But it is worth recognizing that 4.2 million people
> hold security clearances in the US.
> https://news.clearancejobs.com/2011/09/26/how-many-people-have-security-clearances/
> That is a lot of people to deeply annoy. There is also an intriguing
> sociological question what effects there is on a society when 1.3% are
> incorporating a culture of secrecy - I wouldn't be surprised if there was
> fascinating selection effects, over-representation of people with high
> conscientiousness scores, etc.

US security is changing their checking methods.

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/05/13/want-a-security-clearance-feds-will-now-check-your-facebook-and-twitter-first/>

Quote:
The government will start scanning Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and
other social media accounts of thousands of federal employees and
contractors applying and re-applying for security clearances in a
first-ever policy released Friday.
------------

This policy is still being developed. They say they will only look at
publicly posted information. (Can you hear the NSA laughing
uncontrollably?).  At present they won't ask for passwords or login to
private accounts.  (Hee, hee, hee....).
Applicants won't be asked to disclose Facebook friends or disclose all
their Twitter handles or any other aliases they use. (More hee, hee,
hee, - I can't stand much more of this).

This may mean that the younger generation will find it extremely
difficult to get security clearance granted by the strait-laced older
generation of officials.

BillK