[ExI] Will ems have two genders?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun May 15 09:00:04 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-14 04:04, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> Is there a reason to expect that ems would have a male and a female
> gender? We have to remember that ems are not biological, and gender
> may have a purely biological origin.

But ems start as scans of biological brains and retain the memories,
personalities and identity constructs of the bio-original. Since most
people strongly identify with one gender or the other, they are likely
to keep doing that as ems.

I think furries, transgender people and experimentation online with
alternative personas demonstrate that there is more fluidity than many
people think, but they are hardly evidence that ems will lose gender
identity. In the longer run, when people start mind editing, yes, but
not in the short-run scenario in Robin's book.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute