[ExI] Drake Equation Musings

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun May 15 09:06:06 UTC 2016

It is IMHO not a very impressive paper. Basically their argument is
"Look, the probability per star needed to get an empty universe is
really low, so a priori we should expect it to be higher." My own
upcoming paper shows that if you do the probabilities right you can
easily get empty universes given what we know.

(The quick of it: people assume some key Drake equation parameters must
lie in a far smaller range than they are allowed to by our actual
knowledge, and this produces over-optimistic estimates. When you update
on the empty sky, it makes the past great filter more likely than a
future great filter.)