[ExI] Will ems have two genders?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon May 16 09:05:27 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-16 08:16, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Will Steinberg
> <steinberg.will at gmail.com <mailto:steinberg.will at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     But this stuff to me is so foreign, not worth talking about--or,
>     worth talking about, but as a very very non-serious thought
>     experiment.  Like people in 3000 BC talking about the future.  And
>     I bet they had lots of ideas we've forgotten today, being closer
>     to the dawn of self-consciousness and state-of-nature and all
>     that.  Take some LSD and wonder about this stuff again.
>

> ### I find the ems world absolutely fascinating. I see it as the only
> way for me to hitch a ride into the future after superhuman AI comes
> online, which with every day that passes is closer by one day.

Robin's book is a pretty fascinating take on ems, since he develops the
social side of the scenario in deep detail. We may of course want to
work a lot on the tech side, but he is first in trying to see what our
knowledge in the "soft sciences" actually makes likely.

A key thing in thinking about uncertain future developments is to
realize that a high likeliehood of being wrong is not a reason not to
try it, in many circumstances. If your models cause you to take actions
that are maximally reasonable then it does not matter that there is a
lot of noise.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute