[ExI] Worthy kickstarter campaign for block chain based voting system.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:28:25 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com>
wrote:

> Just a shout out for this worthy voting system.  I get so tired of our
> current voting systems.
>

> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adamkalebernest/e2e-verifiable-blockchain-voting-software-follow-m?ref=nav_search
>

> I've made a pledge.

Maybe you can explain: I take a look at this and I see a quick way to
confirm that a given voter ID's vote is counted the way that voter wanted.
However, to prevent people from making up voter IDs, there will almost
certainly be a database accessible to the government giving the names,
addresses, et cetera attached to each voter ID.  (For example, in
California for next month's primary election, at a minimum each ID would
need to be tagged with party preference and county - possibly city - to see
which things that ID is eligible to vote for.  And if someone moves, the
government would need to know which voter ID to move from one county to
which other county.)

This seems to mean it would become possible, perhaps easy, for anyone with
access to that database to find out who voted the "wrong" way.  For
example, around here the number of Trump voters is likely to be low enough
that persecuting a significant fraction of them - enough to intimidate most
of the rest - may be possible, and Trump is reviled enough that the
possibility of persecution might seem plausible to many if their votes
could be traced.  This would ruin the election's legitimacy before the
votes are even cast, with obvious problems given the observed character of
many of Trump's supporters.  (Not that I would like Trump to win, just that
an honest defeat is preferable.)

Worse, if I understand correctly, this verification could be done before
the election deadline on anyone who voted early, in time to persuade them
to change their vote.  I know of many cases where such persuasion would
usually begin by pointing a gun at the voter...or where the mere
possibility of such vote tracing, combined with a mass murder spree which
left prominent "voted for X" notes near the victims (large enough that the
press would see them), would be the preferred method. to discourage voting
for X.