[ExI] chain rule

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri May 20 19:57:29 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 3:02 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at education from the opposite extreme, I have read articles
> worrying about smartphones causing the dumbing-down of the population.
> With a smartphone, nobody needs to remember or know much at all.
> Google gives you any info you need. Apps do calculating for you, give
> directions, organise schedules, buy stuff, etc.
> That's why the younger generation are addicted to gossiping on their
> smartphones.
> There's not much else left for them to do.

It all started going downhill when early man began counting on his fingers.
That led to abacuses, then calculators, then computers. Writing degraded
verbal storytelling and led to books and printing. It's a wonder we modern
men can accomplish anything intellectual at all.

But seriously, yeah, learning how to do arithmetic is harder when you can
just say "ok google, what is 52 times 7?" But the tools we've developed
have removed a lot of the tedium from everyday life/work and freed up our
minds for the kinds of things that our tools can't do...yet.

-Dave