[ExI] In defense of psych; was Re: aeon article - you have no memory

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:45:40 UTC 2016

Really good deception is hard.

Our college got all het up about research in education so some of us did
some and went to the state educ. research convention.  It was appalling.

Now in psych conventions, you get up and give a paper and they will try to
tear you apart and no slack for grad students.  In the educ. conference
they practically stood up and applauded.  It was a feel good thing.  I
could have criticized every paper I heard.  The quality of papers at a
sectional psych conference - maybe about 1/4 worth putting in a good
journal.  At the educ. - well, that's not my area and so who am I to judge,
but I thought the quality was poor, esp. as compared to my psych
conventions.

This would be just laughable except for the fact that grad depts. of
education are the go to people for designing what is taught in K-12.  They
never saw a new theory they didn't like.  Did you like the "New Math" of a
couple of decades ago?  Math teachers I knew hated it, but all the same it
went into effect in the public schools.  What are legislators to do?  They
have to listen to the educ. people because they will say that only they can
know what is good for kids because that's their area, whereas the math
people may know math but don't know teaching. etc. etc.

At least poor quality psych papers don't affect the public at all.  When I
first starting teaching college I learned that there was a big prejudice
against the education dept. and wondered why.  Ph.D.s ought to be smart
people and all that.   Nope - not in educ.

One more anecdote:  a fellow grad student of mine in psych decided he
needed a course taught in the grad counseling (educ.) dept.  One night a
week.  He came back from his first meeting looking grim.  He said it was
going to be all kinds of work - not what he expected.  So he took his list
of readings, did them all, and went to class the next week, only to find
that he had done the outside readings for the semester, not the week.
Needless to say he breezed through that course.

bill w