[ExI] Has the mystery of Dark Matter been solved?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 26 03:53:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 4:33 AM, Anders <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

​> ​
> Likely just to annoy John, there is a recent paper (
> http://arxiv.org/abs/1603.08522 ) arguing the early supermassive holes
> could be due to direct collapse of gas clouds. I cannot judge the
> likelihood of this, but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

​Maybe early gas clouds did collapse to form Black Holes, but those types
of Black Holes can't be Dark matter because those gas clouds were made of
baryonic matter
​ and we know from ​
nucleosynthesis
​ that there was never nearly enough ​
baryonic matter
​ to account for Dark Matter. And it's hard for me to believe that
baryonic matter
​ can account for the Black Hole pair that LIGO found either.

​A

​Black Hole pair like the one LIGO found has
 existed for 13.8 billion years
​,​
 but it only made enough noise for LIGO to hear it for a fifth of a second,
and yet LIGO managed to hear such a pair after just a few weeks of
listening. And it had not even reached it's full sensitivity yet. Either
the LIGO people were extraordinarily lucky or there are one hell of a lot
of Black Holes out there, perhaps enough to account for Dark Matter. LIGO
goes back online in September
​(and will be joined by VIRGO) ​
so we should
​be able to straighten ​out what's going on
 before the end of the year.

​John K Clark ​

​ ​