[ExI] Censorship

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat May 28 14:46:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Anders <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>  If you as a publisher tell me that you will not publish my book because
> it is crap/politically incorrect/will not sell/it is Friday that is your
> prerogative. There is no right to have stuff published.

​That is absolutely true.

​> ​
> Censorship occurs is when a centralized power can decide to prevent
> publication because of content.

​Yes, and Donald Trump thinks the world needs more censorship. Trump wants
to get Bill Gates to "close up parts of the internet" to prevent radical ​
​speech. Trump also wants to make the libel laws much stronger, he wants to
authorize the state to take your property if you say something the state
deems you shouldn't say.  It seems utterly bizarre to me that so many
libertarians are perfectly OK with this idea of Trump's; but then it also
seems utterly bizarre that so many libertarians are OK with Trump's hatred
of free markets and free trade.

If that is now normal positions for a libertarian to take then I guess I'm
no longer a libertarian because I hate censorship and I love free markets
and free trade.

 John K Clark    ​