[ExI] mutual assured injury

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 6 22:35:27 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Anders
.

>.I think ameliorating nuclear (or asteroid, or supervolcano) winter using
greenhouse gas is not totally crazy.. But these issues can be analysed and
worked out, and I think they should be checked just in case. -- Dr Anders
Sandberg

Ja, and the models need to be updated.  It must be considered good news that
nuclear stockpiles have been reduced as much as they have, and anti-ICMB
tech has proliferated.

Regarding a re-entry body, many of the details are classified (or were back
when that actually meant something) so we don't know for sure.  A modern
nuke has a fusion core which is detonated by a fission device which is
detonated by high explosive arranged in a sphere, which is detonated in a
controlled manner by electrical signal simultaneously at multiple locations
on the surface of the sphere.  The circuitry must work perfectly to cause
the sphere to implode symmetrically to cause a fission reaction of near
optimal yield to detonate the fusion device.  If any link in that chain
doesn't work right, that round is a dud.  If the trigger device fails and
the RB strikes the ground, no fusion reaction for sure and most likely not
much fission.

If there are way more of those THAAD missiles and other countermeasures than
we know, some and perhaps most of the incoming warheads could be destroyed,
leading to survival of millions of Americans.