[ExI] Happy Russian Roulette Day

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 8 18:26:24 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 8:42 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Happy Russian Roulette Day

On Nov 8, 2016, at 8:01 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com <mailto:atymes at gmail.com> > wrote:

On Nov 8, 2016 6:23 AM, "John Clark" <johnkclark at gmail.com <mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com> > wrote:
>>… Two bullets are loaded into the six shooter. The cylinder is spun at random. The revolver is pointed at your head. The trigger is pulled. The hammer falls and ....

>...the barrel is jammed?

Where is this barrel jammed?  Why was somebody so mean as to jam it there?

>…Hammer?

There are many schools of thought on this.  We hear of the firearm definition of the term as a component in the firing mechanism, but it should be noted that when the hammer “falls” it really is moving mostly sideways, and if anything is moving upward.  Furthermore, one of the important lessons if one takes firearm training is that one does not “pull” the trigger, but rather squeezes it.  Otherwise it introduces an upward motion.

This can be demonstrated by helping a person firing a pistol for the first time.  Make a video for instruction purposes.  This works best if it is a six-round pistol.  Put only five rounds in it but do not tell the novice shooter.  Have her fire at a target.  Count the rounds as they are fired and tell her to not stop firing until all rounds are fired.  Note what happens on the sixth chamber, which is empty.  In most cases, the novice shooter brings the gun upward as if it had fired and there was a kick.  Check it out.

>…Happy Russian Roulette day…

There we go, blaming the Russians, just because they invented the game.  But how do we know they invented that game?  Good chance someone thought of using the American Samuel Colt’s invention right here in the states long before the commies ever showed up.  They might have done it, but we don’t really know, do we?  All along it might have been American Roulette, an inside job, or perhaps it was Ukranians that did that game to start with, and the Russians are being blamed unfairly.  I demand proof.