[ExI] MAKE THE LIST GREAT AGAIN

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 06:36:31 UTC 2016

I thought of a new subject line for this thread that bears some kind
of affinity to the discussion that spawned it...

The problem with the list is not too much politics, but too little of
everything else.

When I joined in the nineties this list was my main source of food for
thought: Extropy, space, nanotech, the then emerging internet, life
extension, AI, uploading... And a lot of politics too...

Most of us are still still around and writing about the same things,
only not here. The list has been mostly retired for years, apart from
occasional bursts of activity. I am still here for emotional
attachment, and I guess many others can say the same.

I write and share a lot of stuff, but these days posting to Facebook
or Reddit is so much faster than posting to a mailing list, and
reaches many more people. Mailing lists are still the most
decentralized option, but alas not as good as contemporary centralized
alternatives.

Should we try to restart the fire here? Or perhaps move to a Discourse
(http://www.discourse.org/) board (like the Boing Boing forum)? Or
some other platform? Or a subreddit? Note that Discourse and Reddit
itself are mostly open source, someone would need to do the IT setup
(and of course maintenance and admin) work.

Thoughts?