[ExI] cool article by shostak

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 16 20:09:09 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:46 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] cool article by shostak

http://www.space.com/34713-intelligent-aliens-machines-seti-search.html

>...I agree with the logic of this article, but there's something missing.

Why aren't these AI machines all over the galaxy?
Why aren't they broadcasting?

What Shostak doesn't mention is the speedup in processing of these AIs and the consequences of that speedup.
It would result in the physical universe appearing to be very slow, even 'dead'. And why would they try to communicate with the dead?

BillK

We have no way to model machine curiosity.  We talk a lot of machine intelligence and curiosity are part of human intelligence.  But it is easy enough to imagine one without the other.  I have written software scripts that go off and make all kinds of interesting mathematical discoveries, but I have yet to write one which goes off on its own, asking questions or wondering how the heck this or that.  I still hafta supply that part.

Perhaps curious intelligent creatures created artificial non-curious non-explorer non-expanding intelligence?