[ExI] hasta be a pony in here somewhere

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 19 22:38:47 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of spike
Subject: [ExI] hasta be a pony in here somewhere

*   Earlier I (the non-bureaucrat human) commented:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/218423971-story

>.This kind of thing looks like it would be cheap enough to make; a few
dozen bottles of dishwashing liquid should fill a basketball court-sized
room to a couple meters, ja?  Then we could have the players wear SCUBA
gear, and play. what?  Soccer?  Put down tumbling mats and do a much cleaner
version of mud-rasslin?  Co-ed nekkid capture the flag?  Suggestions?  This
seems so novel, there just has to be a fun game of some sort in all this.
The SCUBA gear makes me nervous however.  Is there some safer variation
where it involves foam up to about the waist, complete darkness, lotsa
groping and carrying on, that sorta thing?  Oh there is money to be made
here somewhere, or failing that, fun to be had.spike

Ok so let us think.

Imagine some kind of game or simulated something or other which vaguely
works towards the gray area between a virtual reality and meat-world
reality.

To make this worth doing, it would need to be other-worldly as all get out,
ja?  That leads to something that would really get the heart pounding, a
shoot-em-up battle game or crime-fighter scenario, perhaps crime-doer, but
those all make me squirm, peaceful type than I am.  Furthermore, it suggests
running around, which introduces the risk of collisions in any arena-type
environment.  So. heart-pounding action, limited visibility, limited
traction, non-violent please, low risk if at all possible, hmmmm..

Imagine the setting.  Tennis court perhaps?  With gym mats?  We have it
enclosed by a chain-link fence with pads on the support posts, analogous to
the pads they put around the goal posts on a football field.  We supply some
kind of padded surface, such as. inflatable pool floats or air mattresses
should do it, and allows us to clean up and give the boring old tennis
players back their court afterwards.  Fenced-in, so we could blow in foam
easily using an ordinary leaf blower and a venturi tube device introducing
soapy water: result: fire-hoses of foam.  Nothing here is expensive or
high-tech, ja?

OK now imagine, total darkness, perhaps waist-high foam (do we need the
foam?) with players perhaps wearing VR devices of some sort which conceal
his or her identity (that part is important.)  We can imagine an LCD screen
bent around like the shield on a motorcycle helmet, projecting inward.  We
can imagine a group of people in this dark arena interacting in some way,
with complete anonymity, doing whatever they want and perhaps seeing
whatever they want.

What could we do with that?