[ExI] who woulda think it?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:31:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Darin Sunley <dsunley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, Swiss Army have been selling those for 10-15 years now.
>
> The older ones are all comically small (4-8 MB), in keeping with the memory
> prices of ye olde days gone bye.
>
> I never really saw the point of taking a basic tool, with heirloom potential
> - it will be precisely as functional a hundred years from now as it is the
> day you bought it, if it's reasonably well taken care of - and intimately
> integrating it with a component that will be comically obsolete before the
> decade is out, and that is likely to become completely nonfunctional within
> a decade under normal day-to-day wear and tear.

If the data was write-once, it could provide for some form of
provenance.  64gb is plenty of space for a decent record of owners
over even a hundred years.  If the data is a url with an object
identifier, owners can add themselves to the "permanent" record that
lives in the cloud.

yeah, "Internet of Things" is a thing.  we might as well get used to it. :)