[ExI] unnecessary drama

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Oct 7 18:12:24 UTC 2016

I have family on Florida's east coast, so naturally I am paying attention to
the news casts.  The danger has passed the Space Coast with minimal property
damage, no injury or serious fatality.

While watching the news, it occurred to me that the newscasters love to get
out in the wind and shout into a microphone while being blown all over, and
half the time one cannot even understand what they are saying, but it
occurred to me that this is all unnecessary drama.  I have a full-face
motorcycle helmet in which I mounted a Bluetooth microphone and speakers
either side, so a biker can talk on the phone or do OK Google inquiries
while travelling 80 mph down the freeway.  I can talk on the phone when the
wind is strong enough to make it uncomfortable to hold my head forward.

OK then, now when you view the hurricane newscasts with the brave reporter
being blown all over, note that if the silly yahoo would just put on a
full-face motorcycle helmet rigged with a phone mic, she could report the
news without shouting, could have both hands free to hold onto something
sturdy such as a handrail.  Instead of a big flappy raincoat, if she wore a
sturdy leather riding jacket and leather chaps such as I and plenty of
bikers do, she would have some protection against flying debris and even be
waterproof.  It would reduce the risk of being blown around because riding
gear fits snugly to reduce wind resistance (intentionally (loose clothing is
uncomfortable when it is flapping around in the wind.))

If they really need dramatic footage, a prole could wear proper motorcycle
gear with all the protective advantages and and just hold a flag.  Or she
could wear a thin plastic rain poncho, which could be allowed to tear away
in the wind.

One wonders: what if some young reporter is conked by flying debris
real-time live TV, doing something she didn't need to do?  Would they give
up this silly unnecessary practice?

News agencies introduce risk to newscasters and degrade broadcast quality in
exchange for drama.  They don't just report the news, they create it.