[ExI] Radiation damage could stop manned trips to Mars

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:40:55 UTC 2016

On 11 October 2016 at 19:57, Stephen Van Sickle wrote:
> Quick look at the paper.  They expose the mice to the same total energy as a
> Mars trip, but
> (if my arithmetic is correct) at about 30,000 to 150,000 times the rate of
> exposure (years worth in minutes).
>
> I would take with a big grain of salt.

I think you can put your salt away.  :)
This is not just one oddball paper. This lab is part of NASA’s Human
Research Program investigating how space radiation affects astronauts
and learning ways to mitigate those effects.

Radiation damage is always measured by total dosage. The rate of
dosage doesn't matter. e.g. Staff  working in nuclear power, medical
labs, astronauts, etc.

BillK