[ExI] Robin in the Chronicle of Higher Education

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 21:40:55 UTC 2016

I quite like the article, because it points at the wider intellectual
meta-issues. Far too many journalists just get obsessed with the ems. How
to do interdisciplinary, groundbreaking or just maximally useful research
is an interesting challenge.  anders

It reminds me of the metaphor about the knight riding out of the castle and
going in 17 different directions at once.  Clearly in the genius league, he
seems interested in everything but quick to abandon it and go to something
else - lack of focus, that is.  Yet, I think we should fund people like
this and not count their class numbers or publications.  Just give them
time to think.

bullshit computation:  number of different areas in which publication has
been done by a person, divided by number of publications, the smaller the
better

For us at lower levels of economics, I really enjoyed Thaler's book
Misbehaving, about displacing the rational model the economics has held for
so long.  Behavioral economics - the time is right.  This guy is a pioneer
who worked with Kahneman and Tversky.  A likely Nobel candidate.  Same who
did Nudge.

bill w