[ExI] language question

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 16:21:49 UTC 2016

I think the only convention that make sense and is totally fair to
everyone is that everyone uses his own gender for generic pronouns,
plurals etc. (I am using this convention here). A man says "the reader
can form his opinion" and a woman says "the reader can form her
opinion." In Spanish a man says "todos los aficionados" and a woman
says "todas las aficionadas" for "all fans." Of course by "his own
gender" I mean "the gender he identifies with."

This is the convention I follow, so that I use he, his, him, el, los
to talk about persons of unspecified gender and groups of mixed
gender. A woman who follows this convention uses she, her, la, las.
The convention is fair and symmetric (I think it's the only convention
that is guaranteed to be fair and symmetric) and I recommend it.

I react very strongly to the politically correct bigots who want me to
change my choice. Follow your choice, and let me follow mine.