[ExI] that's a big battery!

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 31 00:44:09 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2016 5:31 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] that's a big battery!

​ Within five years, according to the white paper, Uber expects the market to produce a fully electric, vertical-takeoff-and-landing plane that can fly 100 miles at about 150 mph, carrying multiple passengers and a pilot.  (from wired.com <http://wired.com> )​

OK I expect it will not.  Not five years from now, not later than that.

Vertical takeoff and landing takes crazy high power, not compatible with stored electric energy.  Internal combustion is hard to beat for carrying energy aloft.  I don’t think we are close to fully electric aircraft.

A 40 passenger VTOL is difficult even with modern turbojet engines such as those found on the V-22 tilt-rotor.  Those engines are lower efficiency than high-bypass turbos because they need to produce peak power on takeoff.