[ExI] confounding

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Wed Sep 21 00:01:09 UTC 2016

So it's this:
In statistics, a *confounding variable* (also *confounding factor*, a
*confound*, a *lurking variable* or a *confounder*) is an extraneous
variable <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraneous_variable> in a statistical
model <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_model> that correlates
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlate> (directly or inversely) with both
the dependent variable <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_variable>
and the independent variable
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_variable>, in a way that
"explains away" some or all of the correlation between these two variables.
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confounding

I've only heard about it in the context of experiments and statistics.
While Spike is a Renaissance man, he still may not have been exposed to
Research Design instruction like us psychologists.
-Henry