[ExI] right to try bill

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 21:01:10 UTC 2016

It's not as simple as that. Most people who try to suicide do it as a
result of a situational crisis or a depressive illness, which we know will
pass even with no intervention beyond keeping them from killing themselves
during the worst moments. Should we instead help all these people to die?-
Stathis Papaioannou

When you bring in mental disorders, acute or chronic, it gets complicated.
As a psychologist I'd like to see some screening done.  As a libertarian
it's nobody's business.

As a person who flirts with manic-depression (a good group to be in!
Higher than average IQ), I've been nearly suicidal several times and was
only restrained by ideas of my wife and family.

Most times these impulses pass quickly, as they do for most people, who
then are glad they did not act.

So - it's a thorny one, right?

bill w