[ExI] Single Payer Healthcare

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Apr 1 00:53:05 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jason Resch

>…The Swiss model is not single payer but is consumer driven, with individuals purchasing insurance directly.

>…Clearly their model is cheaper than ours, since they also spend a much smaller fraction of their GDP than the US.

>…But the US also subsidizes medical research for the rest of the world and tolerates monopolistic price fixing which leads to much greater costs.

>…Jason

Cost comparisons between US doctors and most of the rest of the world are invalid unless we agree on how to compare doctors who go to medical school right out of high school vs how we do it here: Americans usually need a college degree before they can get into medical school.  Those undergraduate degrees take a big investment in time and money; of course US-trained doctors will cost more, a lot more.  It might make them better doctors, but we don’t really know for sure, ja?

Alternative: make Health Science a college major, where the graduates come out of a three year or four year training course knowing a lot about what you can do with over the counter meds, how to recognize the common stuff, stop claiming they are practicing medicine without a license, make them immune from lawsuit if they screw up and so forth.  Their services should be affordable, guessing about a quarter the price for half the effectiveness.