[ExI] Space Decentral: A decentralized autonomous space agency

Radoslaw Zasiadczuk rkz at hyperlogos.net
Fri Apr 14 12:27:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 11:49:52 -0700
Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone! If I may add my $0.03...

> So your problem reduces to, what advantages does a DAC have over a
> traditional corporation, given that most elements of significant financial
> value will refuse to engage with blockchain et al instead of traditional
> means (such as the law & courts, seeing blockchain et al as less effective
> at protecting their interests), thus negating any benefits for their
> transactions that a DAC might have?

There are, probably, about 3 general levels of of a DAC/DAO.
The highest is a DAC being ruled by its internal AI, making decisions,
signing contracts, having a "person" or "legal person" status like
normal corporation. That's not going to happen next week and for
now it's irelevant.
The second level is perhaps the most confusing - a DAC without
intelligence, but acting as corporation in a world where DACs
are not yet "a thing". This brings all the questions - who is going
to sign contracts? How decisions are made? Enforced? Investors,
how do we attract them, what exactly is their role? Etc. They are
perfectly valid questions of course, but probably they can't be answered
without going through the basic level of DAO.
The third, basic level (and this is just my understanding, don't quote)
seems to be a DAO that is nothing more than company or organisation
using blockchain technology for... and here comes the explanation
of everything ;) What is blockchain used for? What can it do?

<disclaimer>
I am aware that everything a blockchain can do in theory can be
achieved used non-blockchain technologies. Especially when
we consider technologies constituting informational background
of a company. Flow of information, decisions, knowledge, etc.
But having said that it is all perfectly achievable using non-silicon
technologies, like pen and paper.
</disclaimer>

So what curretn blockchain does best? Provide transparency
and real-time, accurate, proven information about everything
that goes on in the company, with reduced need for human
input. It can speed up flow of information, decisions, knowledge
in a company in safe and secure manner, and all that requires
less infrastructure and maintenance than more traditional
means of "computing".
But this is  in case of traditional companies. Let's expand slightly
the model to a core corporation using a lot of 3rd parties,
contractors, advisers. Keeping track of everything that is going on,
remembering that the core company sets general direction,
and makes the important decisions, but each big decision
is followed by countless small decisions on all levels of organization..
Blockchain - extremely useful for all that. Pen and paper would
not be sufficient.
And then the core company leaves itself legal presence and brand,
and dissolves hierachy (that already was a mesh more than a tree),
so it officially becomes just a node in decentralized, autonomous
organization, which by that time moves by itself... and by that statement
I mean something similar to open source software projects. They surely
are decentralized, to some might appear chaotic, but there is inherent
order built in, facilitated by source control software and communication,
that needs no traditional hierarchy, no explicit pecking order, and gets
things done on scale that suprises people believeng that without
strict, imposed order nothing would ever get done. And here pen
and paper would not be merely insufficient, probability of succeding
on such a low technology is near-zero. Traditional computing methods
can get things done, but they in turn start looking insufficient.

Blockchain (I think - we're at the very early stages still), can bring
the power of decentralization to physical world. It's been done before
using more traditional methods, like for example in Gore-Tex,
(please correct me if I'm wrong), but blockchain is an idea that
can scale the beyond small and medium sized companies,
Now, BC is just technology, not to be mistaken for complete solution.
In a DAO the people are obviously the very top, software and hardware
they use are just tools, and blockchain glues it all together.
That's the short answer.. ;)

best regards,
Radoslaw Zasiadczuk