[ExI] saturated fats safe

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 16:47:10 UTC 2017

On Apr 28, 2017, at 8:17 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> They have broken ranks because they are a tiny minority opinion with
> funding from the meat industry and drug companies.
>
> Debunked in many places. Here's one -
> <https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/experts-headline-grabbing-editorial-on-saturated-fats-bizarre-misleading/>
>
> Quote:
>
> Overall, experts dubbed the editorial, like the ones before it,
> misleading and confusing.
>
> “The Mediterranean diet and daily exercise can help reduce heart
> disease risk,” said Mike Knapton, associate medical director at the
> British Heart Foundation. “But I’m afraid the claims about saturated
> fat made in this opinion piece are unhelpful and misleading.”
>
> As before, health experts recommend keeping saturated fats, added
> sugars, and sodium in check, while loading up on fruits, vegetables,
> lean meats and protein sources, low-fat dairy, and oils. But overall,
> people should focus on healthy eating patterns rather than individual
> foods or meals. In other words, there's no such thing as "good" or
> "bad" foods, just healthy or unhealthy diets. And everyone agrees that
> exercise is beneficial to health.
>
> Saturated fats are not 'poison', of course, and a small amount as part
> of a generally healthy diet won't do much harm.

I think the reason the "stay away from X" approach happens here is that it's easier for to implement. And, yeah, a generally healthy person indulging occasionally is probably not going to get heart disease or diabetes from that, but I reckon people vary on what they mean by occasionally. Is that every weekend, once a month, just on holidays? I know many people who pig out all weekend starting on Friday, then Monday morning they're back to "healthy" diet.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst