[ExI] Ice Age site show evidence of humans in N. America 130K years ago?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:44:00 UTC 2017

On Apr 29, 2017, at 3:14 AM, J.R. Jones <mrjones2020 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017, 03:38 Dan Ust <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I don't believe current techniques can recover DNA under those conditions. There are old samples they've been recovered, but they were frozen. Remember, too, the finding is of mastodon bones. Maybe humans working them left some of their DNA behind, but that's a long shot. (Coprolites might be a better bet.)
>>

> DNA of extinct humans found in caves
> http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39747326
>
> "We know that several components of sediments can bind DNA," said lead researcher Matthias Meyer of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany.
>
> Maybe something like this could be used?

I'm sure they've seen that story too. My guess is it's going to be a bit harder given overall conditions at the site. They don't seem good ones for preserving prehistoric human DNA that current techniques will find. But perhaps we should take that as a challenge. ;)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst