[ExI] for technomancers

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 20:05:14 UTC 2017

On Aug 2, 2017 12:02 PM, "William Flynn Wallace" <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

 I find it nearly sickening that people, not just teens or
never-to-be-grown-up adults, find real achievement in battling imaginary
orcs and aliens and ghosts et alia.

​At least there is some athleticism in sports, as unnecessary as that will
be to our future.  Are really quick thumbs going to be all that important?​

Yes.  Consider the increasing amount of drone warfare, not to mention the
increased emphasis on similar tool use instead of manual labor in
manufacturing, agriculture, and other such industries.  Also, e-sports can
provide the same spectacle and teamwork without ruining the players for
subsequent employment (see football's current problems with brain trauma).
And that's just scratching the surface.

There is much beauty and glory - and, yes, achievement - to be had in video
games.  There is much potential to waste time too...but consider: if a
typical father and son go fishing all afternoon but return with nothing,
versus if they do the same but their tools (and video-game-trained
expertise on said tools) let them return with enough fish to feed their
family for a week, which outcome is better for their family and their
community?