[ExI] civil war denial

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Aug 18 18:22:34 UTC 2017

In Europe, holocaust denial is a sin, for perfectly understandable reasons.

In the USA, we are in the process of tearing down monuments to military
leaders in our Civil War of 1861-1865.  It starts with the losing side, but
the whole notion will likely continue until we take down the others too.
Seems pretty certain we will soon have Civil War deniers, those who claim
the whole thing never happened.  How will we handle that?

Perhaps we should start with an easier one, such as the War of 1812.  What
physical evidence do we have?  There are no photos, no remaining witnesses,
only accounts written by no one knows who.  We have the music: our National
Anthem and that really cool overture by Tchaikovsky but several key pieces
of evidence are missing or questionable, such as. the motive.  Why the heck
did the redcoats want a rematch?  And think about it: a symphony piece about
a supposed conflict between the US and Britain was written by a commie?
Doesn't that seem a bit fishy?  I have my vague doubts about the whole
thing.

We need to start a new movement: War of 1812 denial.