[ExI] AI citizens

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:07:15 UTC 2017

*billk wrote:  * the problem
arises as to whether they have the right to demand the same civil
rights as humans.
​-----------
First, which ones do we have?  The USA has a list; so does the UN.  The US
one is law; the UN one is hopeful.  In the USA a right not to testify
against oneself (the 5th amendment) exists for humans.  Do we really want
that to apply to our computer friends?

In fact, I'd say that the less said about rights, the better.  Don't want
to give them ideas above their station!  (I.E - give them an

Interesting parallel:  Terry Pratchett's golems - they were property before
Pratchett wrote them into owning themselves, and so had some rights.  But
doesn't this open the Pandora's box and let loose blackmail?  (the golems
were more powerful than anything)

All AIs should have a circuit overriding any other one that shuts it down
by human control.  But how to make it unhackable?  That is, by the AI
itself - or herself.  Or...

bill w

​