[ExI] The largest dinosaur

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 15:45:23 UTC 2017

A recent discovery may be the largest dinosaur so far found:
https://phys.org/news/2017-08-patagotitan-mayorum-biggest-dinosaur.html

It weighed
​76 tons, ​
as much as the Space Shuttle
​,​
was 20 feet high at the shoulders and was 122 feet long and lived about 100
million years ago. Other very large dinosaurs have been found before but
this fossil is incredibly complete, in fact they were able to make what's
been called  “the most complete anatomic reconstruction of any large
terrestrial herbivore in the planet’s history"
. I don't know why ​I find all this so fascinating but when I was a kid I
was a sucker for
Godzilla
​ movies. Take a look at this picture to get a sense of the scale of this
beast:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Patagotitan-Scale-Diagram-Steveoc86.svg/1800px-Patagotitan-Scale-Diagram-Steveoc86.svg.png
​

And they say this thing was
​just ​
a juvenile not yet fully grown!  I want to go to Jurassic Park, I'll take
my chances with the T Rex getting loose.
​

 John K Clark