[ExI] alpha zero

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:15:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ​> ​
> DeepMind, the same outfit which made the learning Go program is now
> claiming they did the same trick with chess.  I don’t know if I believe it
> (rather I vaguely do not believe it) but it is being reported on a very
> reliable chess site:
>
> https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-future-is-here-alphazero-learns-chess
>
> They are claiming that it learned from only the rules of chess in 24
> hours.  I just don’t see how it could have mastered the collective human
> experience over more than 500 years in 24 hours.
>
> If Deep Mind really did this, it’s the most impressive computer learning
> feat I have ever seen.

You're
​ ​
right Spike
​it's​
 simply amazing! Imagine, you know nothing about Chess, you're not given a
teacher, your no
​t​
even given a book on Chess, all you're given is is a short pamphlet
explaining the rules of the game, and
​​
24  hours later you can not only beat any other person on the planet at
Chess but you also can beat any other Chess program. I don't see how anyone
can say computers aren't really intelligent now. And
​
AlphaGo
​ ​
beat the other Chess program, the one that
​was ​
taught by humans, even though it was running on more powerful hardware.
But the most impressive thing of all it it's versatility, the same generic
program taught itself to to be world champion in GO
​,​
Chess and
​S​
hogi (Japanese chess)
​ ​
in a day.

I wonder what the next target will be, I had thought solving
​the ​
Protein Folding
​Problem
 would require a Quantum Computer but maybe not. The shapes of a few
hundred proteins are
​known​
, discovered​
by means of
​very ​
laborious X-ray diffraction studies
​,​
 their Amino Acid sequence
​ are of course also known;​
maybe to AlphaGo
​ would treat that​ as a pamphlet explaining the rules of the
Protein Folding
​game.​ And if you ever hear that it's starting to treat optimizing
computer code as a game then you may be hearing the opening notes of the
Singularity. This is big.

 John K Clark