[ExI] alpha zero

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 02:10:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​> ​
> AlphaGO has no understanding of the games it plays. It can't explain its
> strategy

​A human player couldn't explain exactly why he made the move he did rather
than the astronomical number of other moves he didn't even consider, he
would just say that from experience I know when the board is in this
general sort of position only a small number of moves is even worth
considering, and I had a good feeling about one of them so I made it. I
imagine
AlphaGO
​would say much the same thing. After all, if a human genius could explain
​exactly how he does what what he does we could just follow his advice and
we'd all be geniuses too. But a human genius doesn't understand exactly how
his mind works and neither would a smart program.

> ​> ​
>  that's excessively anthropomorphic

​That is not a dirty word, I think we should
​anthropomorphise things if they are intelligent as we are.

John K Clark