[ExI] alpha zero

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 8 19:26:50 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 11:10 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] alpha zero

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 1:07 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

Dave, do you play?

>…No, not really.

>…-Dave

Anyone here want to download StockFish and load in this position from game 5 please?  Dave do you have a site offering StockFish?

The king on g8, from where he has just moved to h8.  With king on g8, it is black to play.

My human eye suggests f5 would give black a fighting chance at a draw, 30%-ish perhaps.  We can mess with the settings, but if we can’t find a way to get it to play Kh8, we have uncovered something (not clear what (I’m not making accusations against DeepMind (just indicating what looks like an operator error (or something.))))

I am not in StockFish’s league.  It’s a grandmaster, I am about an A rated on my best day, and I am having fewer best days now than I did in my best days.  Were I software, I would be called StinkFish.  But f5 looks like the Obi wan Kenobi move: our only hope.  Even a Hail Mary play is better than immediately going to hail.