[ExI] alpha zero

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 10 18:08:18 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dylan Distasio
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:40 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] alpha zero

https://github.com/gcp/leela-zero

>…There aren't a ton of secrets in open source AI which is awesome…

Ja!

A lot of the mainstream tech-geek news is claiming whatever DeepMind did does not require a lot of horsepower.  But I think otherwise.  If it really doesn’t require a lot of horsepower, this is a new day indeed.

In any case, we live in a time when bitcoin mining declines in payoff per CPU cycle over time.  Result: jillions of CPUs originally purchased for bitcoin mining have reached the point where the energy cost of mining doesn’t cover the value of the coins.  The breakeven point goes back and forth as the value of bitcoin fluctuates, but in general, many perfectly good processors are not useful currently for bitcoin and likely never will be again.

So…

If DeepMind has discovered really software self-learning and self-optimization, even if it takes huge computing resources, perhaps we can rent piles of CPU background cycles to run it from retired or repurposed bitcoin miners.