[ExI] quick computer question

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:36:01 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 8:48 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a ten year old computer that I thinking of updating.  It has an amd
> chip that runs somewhere over 3.
>
> Most chips I see now run slower than that, but maybe are smarter?  If so
> I'll forget the whole thing and just buy a new one.
>
> Yeah or nay?

Nay. You'll be hard pressed to find a modern CPU that'll plug into a ten
year old PC. Modern CPUs are pushing more cores in favor of higher clock
speed--basically, more CPUs on the chip. They're not so much smarter but
there are more of them. A ten year old PC is also likely to have slower
memory and will be closer to hardware failure in disks, power supply, etc.

-Dave