[ExI] Weird!? - He's not on Facebook

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 02:01:53 UTC 2017

On 2 February 2017 at 08:08, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would you believe that Big Data got Trump elected?
> (And possibly helped the Brexit vote).
>
> <https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/how-our-likes-helped-trump-win
> >

> Quotes:
>
> The Data That Turned the World Upside Down
>
> Hannes Grassegger and Mikael Krogerus
> Jan 28 2017, 2:15pm
>
> Psychologist Michal Kosinski developed a method to analyze people in
> minute detail based on their Facebook activity. Did a similar tool
> help propel Donald Trump to victory? Two reporters from Zurich-based
> Das Magazin went data-gathering.
> ----------------
>
> Very long article, but I found it fascinating.

Oh yes indeed, I was going to post a link in, but figured I should probably
read the whole thread before I just jumped in.  Very very interesting.
Especially the bit where they can use likes to model your personality, and
the more things you like, the closer they get to building a very accurate
picture of you.

My main problem with social media like facebook is that they tend to be
largely useless for conducting reasoned, lengthy discourse - and yet most
mailing lists are defunct or heavily reduced in traffic due to the rise of
facebook.  Overall, this has been a terrible development when it comes to
having actual discussions online, instead of just pithy quips.  Most of the
lists I'm on nowadays are pale shadows of their former selves, it's ice to
see that this list is still going, and used.

Dwayne
--
  ddraig at pobox.com irc.bluesphereweb.com #dna
         ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...