[ExI] Huxley or Orwell - who got it right?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 00:10:38 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:23 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> What I am looking for now is a game that is analogous to Civilization but
> teaches actual history.
>

> Anyone know?
>

> spike

No, but consider this:  I get really antsy in movies about books I have
read.  A lot worse, of course, but mainly it's that the action goes very
slowly.  Now consider the content of the typical textbook:  highly
condensed information unless it's an extremely wordy book.  In short, you
can learn much more in a text than some movie or video or, presumably, game
in the same amount of time.

Take From Dawn to  Decadence, by Jacques Barzun.  Most interesting history
book I've ever read by far, perhaps mainly because it's a history of ideas,
not kings and dates.

bill w