[ExI] tumbling pyramids again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:19:43 UTC 2017

On 16 February 2017 at 23:42, spike  wrote:

> Hi BillK, note the next sentence right after the part you quoted:
>
> ...(NOTE:  I have a strong argument for this, but no proof.)...
>
> There ya have it, the thing that might have caused the Big Bang to start
> with.  The pre-Big Bang Sims concluded they have strong arguments but no
> proof.  This whole notion exonerates the Old Ones.  In that whole Sim World
> scenario, those who wrote us would hafta be cruel indeed to make simulated
> beings that suffer as we do.  They could have simulated a universe with less
> suffering and death.  But imagine they were sims themselves, arguing about
> what would happen if matter and energy existed.  Perhaps they ended up with
> the conclusion that a matter/energy universe would need to be created to try
> it. Then they aren't really cruel, since they are just sims settling a
> gentle-sims bet.  They don't know what is suffering, being digital
> mathematical models.  Kind of fun way to think of it, ja?
>
> OK, I am arguing that this tumbling pyramid question might be a case where
> we can come up with guesses on h to make square-down = .2, but in the end we
> must admit we will just have to make some and try it.  We might find it is
> material-dependent, but we don't know.

When I consider all the many different types of multi-sided dice that
are in use, it seems logical that all the faces should be the same
shape and all the angles and sides should be equal. Then it doesn't
matter how you throw the die or how it hits the surface or which face
hits the surface first. I think that if you tried to use a pyramid die
you might encounter some difficulty in persuading the other players
that it was a fair die. :)

BillK