[ExI] AI humor

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 19:09:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM, William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  Did not know you were a comic critic (pun intended).  But the real
> idea was for you all to create examples so I could be a critic.

Sorry. ^_^;  I've been aware of the mechanics of puns and comedy for
several years now, employing them regularly in a type of improv
(RPGs).  I'd give the academic lecture, but it might just leave you
comictose.

But seriously, both of your examples involved explaining the joke
without waiting to see if the audience needed it, and that tends to be
anti-humor.  At this point I almost can't get myself to write in that
style: doing it practices writing a way that is the opposite of what
most of my writing is for.  Since I couldn't do it, I fell back to
explaining why not.

But if you want examples in addition to, "That guy went on such a
diet, he went from a portly body to a starboardly!":

"There there, they're their heirs."  (And any number of references to
child care as "heir-raising adventures".)

"When you replaced your car's flats, did you retire the old tires?"

"We want to encourage our kids toward the sciences.  We named the
future botanist Leif, the future astrophysicist Star, and the future
aerospace engineer Skye, all on the advice of our friend, Norman
Klature."