[ExI] Augmented Reality in the Home

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 20:26:10 UTC 2017

On 20 February 2017 at 19:16, Dave Sill  wrote:
> For appearance and nominal functionality, yes. But to obviate the need for
> shopping, no. If my chair works fine but looks like crap and I'm willing to
> use VR to fix it, that's great. But if my chair is broken or uncomfortable
> or lacks features I need (reclining, swivelling, casters, etc.) then I still
> need to physically replace it.

Yea, I don't see any way for VR to fix broken stuff.  :)
And you would still need to shop for the latest furnishings.

But it should make the old furnishings more interesting so that they
last until they wear out or break. i.e. no need to change the
furnishing because you get fed up with the look - just change the VR.
The annual redecorating job should also be easier.
Home VR would make living in very sparse conditions much more
colourful. A blank wall can become anything you like, tropical island
views, wood panelling, mountain scenery, etc.

The main problem is that visitors would have to be given duplicate VR
lenses so that they don't see the full horror of real life living
conditions. :)

BillK