[ExI] GOV - chilling

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:09:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Darin Sunley <dsunley at gmail.com> wrote:

> To use a Star Wars analogy: there's no one Jar Jar Binks to point to, but
> if we have an Emperor it's because the Senate just spent 16 years throwing
> emergency powers at the Chancellor's office.
>
> The ability of the President to do almost anything via executive order has
> become the new normal. Partisans will always push from whatever the normal
> baseline is, so of course the Republican base is treating that as the
> baseline and agitating for more.
>
> We, the people, can't fix this. Congress might be able to, but do they
> really want to? I'm not optimistic. The courts are trying, so we'll see.
> But the relative powers of the three branches is something the branches
> will have to sort out. All we get to do is watch, and vote occasionally.
> ​--------------------

​Notice that it was the wartime environment that created the 'need' for
those powers of the president.  We, the USA, have been the most aggressive
nation (I think) over the last century, and many of the wars were huge
mistakes - like ground fighting in Asia.

Repubs get us into wars.  Let's see what they do now.  I can only hope that
the protests will strengthen even further if they want to get us into more
wars. They will want more of our money to go to buying arms etc. but will
not raise taxes to pay for them, so liberal causes will suffer.

 We are governed by extremes now, and you know what old Winston said about
it:  'A fanatic is one who can't *change* his mind and won't *change the
subject*.'

We'll just have to be the fanatics on the other side.

bill w​