[ExI] 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2017

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:30:15 UTC 2017

These technologies all have staying power. They will affect the
economy and our politics, improve medicine, or influence our culture.
Some are unfolding now; others will take a decade or more to develop.
But you should know about all of them right now.

<https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603495/10-breakthrough-technologies-2017-practical-quantum-computing/>

Reversing Paralysis

Driverless Trucks

Paying with Your Face

Practical Quantum Computing

The 360-Degree Selfie

Hot Solar Cells

Gene Therapy 2.0

The Cell Atlas

Botnets of Things

Reinforcement Learning

-----------------------

Most items on the list will be familiar, though they may be arriving
sooner than expected.  :)

Re: Practical Quantum Computing
Advances at Google, Intel, and several research groups indicate that
computers with previously unimaginable power are finally within reach.

Quantum computers have to run at near absolute zero temperatures.
Space is already very cold (away from the sun). How does this change
the M-Brain cooling calculations? Does the heat dispersal problem
disappear altogether?

BillK