[ExI] seven exos, three goldilocks!

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Feb 22 23:08:29 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:16 PM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] seven exos, three goldilocks!

http://www.livescience.com/57975-seven-earth-size-planets-trappist-1-discovery.html?utm_source=notification

Major Discovery! 7 Earth-Size Alien Planets Circle Nearby Star

By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer | February 22, 2017 01:11pm ET

An offlist friend suggested naming them after the seven deadly sins.  The problem is that not all the deadly sins are even roughly equal in how much fun they are to commit.

For instance, everybody wants to go get laid at Lust and go make some deals at Greed, maybe kick back and relax for a few weeks at Sloth, enjoy the excellent cuisine at Gluttony.  But Pride is something you can do that one on any of the planets, and Envy is self-contradictory in a way: imagine going to a party there and eeeeverybody is covetous of everybody else.  It doesn’t even make sense.  Somebody there has to realize she really is better off than at least some of the others, ja?  And Wrath, don’t eeeeven go there: it just isn’t much fun being in a place where everybody is pissed off.  Saw it at Berkeley recently: no good.  The big party is back over at Lust, having a good old time there, while they all just sit around at Wrath being annoyed at the lack of customers, but even that is a good thing: if anyone chose to go to Wrath voluntarily, you wouldn’t want them there.  Khan Noonien Singh likes it there, but he’s just that way ya know.

Counter-propose we name them after characters from Gilligan’s Island, with the three Goldilocks planets being Ginger, Mary Ann and Mrs. Howell in that order, with Mary Ann in the sweet spot.  Lovey was a bit on the old side, or so I thought at the time, but now she doesn’t look half bad.  Or we could name them after the continents, or days of the week, the dwarfs, members of the original Spike Jones band the Firehouse Five Plus Two, the main cast seasons 5 and 6 of ER, before the bastards killed Drs. Greene and Knight, that sorta thing.