[ExI] Do digital computers feel was Re: Is the wave function real?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 03:30:06 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> So again, a human mind with duplicated and independently running pain
>> circuitry - he clearly will not say he feels double the pain, because the
>> rest of him does not know that there are two pain circuits running, and the
>> output of the circuits is not summed. But the question for us who know he
>> has two pain circuits - does he as a whole feel twice the pain and just not
>> know it?
>>

> I could claim that if you don't pray to God five times a day you will
> suffer terrible pain, but you won't know it. Would it worry you that I
> might be right? What possible difference to anyone would it make if I were
> right?

### I know having 1x pain processing circuitry makes me feel 1x pain,
running the same circuitry 2x makes me feel 2x pain, so yes, I am well
justified in asking whether having 2x circuitry in parallel produces also
2x pain (but only 1x memory of pain).

I don't believe in god, so am not worried about any claims you make that
depend on its existence.

> It's not a question of experiencing and then forgetting the pain, you are
> saying that it is possible to have the pain yet not notice it at all, which
> seems absurd.

### By the construction of the thought experiment you proposed (circuits A
and B running in parallel but converging at I/O) it is inevitable to have
doubling of the pain processing neural activity *and* to never notice that
doubling. Look back into what you proposed.

Rafal